Well actually Fresh Cerise. The cherries looked so good at the grocery story I decided to use them instead of strawberries. It's a pick-your-own fruit kind of dessert.
The only problem with this recipe is that I am still working in my abbreviated kitchen. So no spring-form pan or piping apparatus for me. Just a good old-fashioned 9x13 and a butter knife. But it can be done! And it turned out a little, well, rustic. But that's okay, it was still delicious.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake:Ingredients:
3/4 c. + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large egg yolks
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 large egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to moderate 325°F
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan with parchment paper. Do not grease the sides of the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Add in all but 3 tablespoons of sugar, and all of the salt. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl combine the oil, egg yolks, water, vanilla and lemon zest. Whisk thoroughly.
- Combine with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly for about one minute, or until very smooth.
- Put the egg whites into a stand mixer, and beat on medium speed using a whisk attachment on a medium speed, until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat on a medium speed until the whites hold soft peaks. Slowly add the remaining sugar and beat on a medium-high speed until the whites hold firm and form shiny peaks.
- Using a grease free rubber spatula, scoop about ⅓ of the whites into the yolk mixture and fold in gently. Gently fold in the remaining whites just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Removed the cake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- To unmold, run a knife around the sides to loosen the cake from the pan and remove the spring form sides. Invert the cake and peel off the parchment paper. Refrigerate for up to four days.
Pastry Cream Filling:Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
- Pour the milk, vanilla, and salt into a heavy sauce pan. Place over medium-high heat and scald, bringing it to a near boiling point. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer add the cornstarch and sugar. Whisk to combine
- Add the eggs to the sugar and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- When the milk is ready, gently and slowly while the stand mixer is whisking, pour the heated milk down the side of the bowl into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the warm pot and continue to cook over a medium heat until the custard is thick, just about to boil and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and pass through a fine mesh sieve into a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool for ten minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cut the butter into four pieces and whisk into the pastry cream a piece at a time until smooth.
- Cover the cream with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap onto the top of the cream to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream until it holds medium-stiff peaks. Immediately fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream with a rubber spatula.
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
- Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and let the sugar dissolve. Stirring is not necessary, but will not harm the syrup.
- Remove the syrup from the heat and cool slightly.
Take your cake out of the pan and cut it in half horizontally. I should have taken a picture. You're going to fill it up like a sandwhich. Drizzle half the simple syrup over it
Arrange your fruit around the edges of the pan all pretty-like
Smooth the pastry cream over the top
Put the other half of the cake on top and drizzle the rest of the simple syrup on top
Garnish with extra berries and enjoy