Jami Sorrento was our June Daring Cooks hostess and she chose to challenge us to celebrate the humble spud by making a delicious and healthy potato salad. The Daring Cooks Potato Salad Challenge was sponsored by the nice people at the United States Potato Board, who awarded prizes to the top 3 most creative and healthy potato salads. A medium-size (5.3 ounce) potato has 110 calories, no fat, no cholesterol, no sodium and includes nearly half your daily value of vitamin C and has more potassium than a banana!
I had a fun time with this challenge. I made two different kinds of potato salad, both completely out of my brain.
The first one was a traditional but low fat potato salad. Most of the time I use mayo instead of yogurt, but this is the stuff I bring to every BBQ I go to over the summer. It's fantastic and tastes even better as leftovers.
My Potato Salad
3-4 lbs potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces but not peeled, boiled until soft (about 15 minutes)
4 hard boiled eggs, cooled
6 - 10 chopped dill pickles
1/2 - 1 thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup brown spicy mustard (or whatever mustard is your favorite)
2 heaping tablespoons of plain nonfat yogurt
1 tablespoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1) combine mustard, yogurt, the cooked egg yolks, cumin and mix until smooth
2) combine the other ingredients in a large bowl
3) pour sauce over the vegetables and stir to combine.
4) chill and enjoy
*I also make sure to cut some pieces of potato a little smaller than the others so when you mix it up so mashed potato gets mixed into the sauce. It add a little more creaminess without having to add mayonaise.
Tomatillo Ranch Roasted Potato Salad
3-4 lb potatoes cut into bite sized pieces, not peeled
1 red onion cut into bite sized pieces
1 white onion cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup low/no fat sour cream
1/2 package of ranch dressing mix (the powder)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 - 1/2 cilantro
salt and pepper
400 degree oven
1) place the potatoes and the onions on a cookie sheet and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. roast them in the oven for about 45 minutes
2) boil the tomatillos in water for about 10 minutes until soft
3) Add the tomatillos, sour cream, ranch dressing mix, cilantro and buttermilk to the blender. Blend until smooth
4) let the potatoes and onions cool for a good hour, then place them in a bowl and pour the dressing over the top. Chill and enjoy.
* this would also be excellent with some lovely cotija cheese crumbled on top.
I hope you're inspired to develop your own variations on potato salad. One I thought would be great is potatoes and pesto and ricotta cheese. Someone should try it. Happy Summertime!